Protecting your PC is a vital task to make sure you enjoy your gaming experience to the fullest. That’s were ALWIL Software comes in and offers you an excellent antivirus packed with features that you may use to protect your PC against intruders for free!
ALWIL introduces Avast Home Free Edition for users who want to protect their PC but have a limited budget to purchase a full-package antivirus. Avast offers a limited but not crippling set of features to protect your computer, may it be Microsoft Windows or Linux, against almost all known types of malicious codes that’s in the wild today. What’s more exciting is the fact that ALWIL is offering their home edition free of charge for non-commercial use so if your a parents refuse to give you an extra budget for a antivirus then AVAST Antivirus is for you.
Avast antivirus includs limited anti-spyware and anti-rootkit in the free edition making it a winner among other free antivirus solutions.
Spyware is software installed on a computer that is designed to collect information about the computer user, often without their knowledge or consent. This can result in so called identity theft, or theft of valuable information (e.g. bank or credit card details) or proprietary business data. Spyware is often developed by organized crime rings rather than lone individuals and may be installed by a virus.
Of course other standard features include the following:
- Anti-spyware built-in. You will have to avail ofthe professional edition to get the full protection though but if you have Vista then Windows Defender is already sufficient enough.
- Anti-rootkit built-in. Protection against hidden threats
- Strong self-protection. Some viruses may attempt to switch off a computer’s antvirus software. To help keep your protection working, even against the latest threats that may try to disable your security protection, avast! has best-in-class strong self-protection built in, to make sure, no matter what you face, avast! carries on protecting your valuable data and programs
- Antivirus kernel. The latest version of avast! antivirus kernel features outstanding detection abilities, together with high performance. You can expect 100% detection of In-the-Wild viruses (viruses already spreading between users) and excellent detection of Trojan horses.
- Simple User Interface. The appearance of the Simple User Interface is very flexible. It supports so-called skins, allowing users to change the appearance of the application interface.
- Resident protection. avast! Home Edition contains resident protection of the computer file system and a resident module for e-mails and news.
- P2P and IM Shields. Avast features a module for the protection of IM (Instant Messaging, “chat”) programs, and a module for the protection of P2P (peer-to-peer) programs. The list of supported IM and P2P programs is extensive with more than 30 programs currently supported.
- Network Shield. A good feature if your computer is connected on a network. Best of course if you are maintaining an internet cafe as it blocks viruses that travel through your network.
- Web Shield. Web Shield is a unique feature of avast! that enables it to monitor and filter all HTTP traffic coming from the Web sites on the Internet.
- Automatic updates. The frequency of updating the virus definition determines the amount of protection it could offer. Both the virus database and the program itself can be updated automatically. The updates are incremental, with only new or missing data downloaded: thus reducing the transfer heavily. The typical size of a virus database update are tens of KB; program updates are typically in the hundreds of KB range.
- Virus Chest. The Virus Chest can be thought of as a folder on your disk drive, having special properties that make it a safe, isolated place suitable for storing certain files. You can work with the files in the Chest, though with some security restrictions.
- System integration. Avast can be started directly from windows explorer, screen saver and on boot-time scan..
- Integrated Virus Cleaner. A tool designed for a complete removal of most common infections from already-infected computers. Avast is capable even to reliably heal (not only detect) the most common malware.
- Support for 64-bit Windows. Avast! Home and Professional edition now fully supports the 64-bit Windows platform.
- Internationalization. You may not expect our language to be included here but if you have friend who is a chinese or living outside the Philippines then Avast has a language built-in for them to use.
avast! antivirus Home Edition is available free of charge for non-commercial home use ONLY.